The Canadian Dairy Industry
- the dairy industry contributes more than $7 billion annually to Canada's economy
- the dairy processing industry is the second-largest food processing sector, after meat and meat products
- Canadian milk is internationally recognized for its superior quality
- Canada has one of the highest average milk production per cow in the world (8,738 kg of milk in 305 days of lactations).
Note: 1 kilo of milk is approximately 1 litre of milk.
- the two largest milk-producing provinces in Canada are Quebec and Ontario
- there are approximately 1.2 million dairy cows in Canada
- the average size herd in Canada is 54 cows
- there are about 21, 500 dairy farms in Canada
- a typical dairy farm has about 100 ha (250 acres) and has a value of approximately $1 million (this figure includes land, quota, cows, machinery and buildings)
For more information on Dairy Cows and Products:
Dairy Farmers of Ontario
6780 Campobello Road
Mississauga ON L5N 2L8
Fédération des producteurs de lait du Québec